Fordham University, St. John’s Residence Hall
Bronx, New York
Queens Court Dormitory is an interconnected complex of three buildings at the Rose Hill campus of Fordham University. St. John’s Hall, the original one of the three (Bishop’s Hall and Robert’s Hall, constructed in the 1930s complete the complex), was built in 1840 and is a New York City landmark. An early example of American Collegiate Gothic style, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The buildings are constructed of load-bearing marble ashlar with brownstone trim, dating to 1845. In recognition of the historic importance of Queens Court, Fordham University embarked on a three-year, large-scale renovation campaign as part of its continuing commitment to is properties, landmarks and non-landmarks alike
Architects and engineers renovated the buildings’ exteriors and interiors in two phases, with work proceeding initially on the two newer buildings. The scope of the renovation included complete interior refurbishment with new bathrooms, mechanical controls and electrical distribution, doors, hardware, ceilings, light fixtures and finishes throughout. The student lounge on the main floor of the complex was a special focus of the effort, with all wood paneling, trim and stained glass removed, restored and reinstalled.
Photographer: ©Jeff Goldberg/Esto Photographics
Cost per Sq Ft
1998 Architectural Portfolio
Other projects from this professional
New York University, College of Dentistry, David B. Kriser Dental Center
New York University’s David B. Kriser Dental Center comprises two adjoining buildings:...
New York University, Jerome S. Coles Sports and Recreation Center Natatorium
The original Jerome S. Coles Recreation Center for New York University (NYU),...