Originally constructed in 1924, Albertson Hall’s “North wing” served as the campus science classroom and laboratory facility. In 1962, the “South wing” was built.
Because of crowding, dilapidated spaces, technology needs and campus growth, a new physical-sciences building was constructed. The departments of chemistry, physics and geological sciences left Albertson COST PER SQ FT$88.44CITATIONGold CitationFEATURED IN2001 Educational InteriorsINTERIOR CATEGORYCommon Areas for the new facility.
Albertson Hall has been transformed to house the departments of biology, agricultural science, allied health and speech-language pathology. In addition, “mediated classrooms” provide access to technology, as well as to the campus backbone. The school placed an emphasis on developing pleasing spaces for gathering, studying and movement through the building.
Albertson Hall has dramatic oak architectural millwork and plaster moldings, architectural lighting and designed floor patterns sympathetic to the detailing of early-20th-century buildings. The mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems allow each laboratory to be utility-independent and self-containing.
"Good use of materials and light. Kept the tradition outside, but created the future inside. Outstanding transformation!"--2001 jury