The original Noyes Building was built between 1899 and 1908 as the Sanpete Stake Academy, one of several academies built by the LDS church (the Mormons). The building originally housed classrooms, the library, administrative offices and a ballroom on the upper floor. The three-story building was designed with a split-level entry, with the first level submerged halfway ASSOCIATED FIRMMagda Jakovcev-Ulrich Architect, InteriorsCOST PER SQ FT$158.00FEATURED IN2000 Educational InteriorsINTERIOR CATEGORYAdministrative Areas/Offices the ground.
The exterior of the building consists of handmade brick and local oolite limestone.
The building program called for new classrooms, labs and offices for the math department, administrative offices and conference rooms, and a multiuse cultural hall to replace the ballroom.
The design solution gutted the interior of the structure, with the exception of two masonry-bearing walls, and added an additional floor in the attic space. The historic formal entrance stairway is framed by a new stone platform that continues around the base of the building to create a basement consisting of the first-floor classrooms.
Photographer: ©Douglas Kahn