As the second oldest building on campus, it has long been perceived as an architectural landmark. Rather than demolish the historic structure, the university decided to renovate and upgrade the 1903 building to create a modern learning environment.
Design goals and solutions included: encouraging student-faculty interaction; echnologically sustainable; energy CAPACITY118COST PER SQ FT$196.00FEATURED IN1999 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation and cost-effective maintenance; restore the building through renovation seismic Zone 3 compliance; efficient space planning and site adaptation.
The lower level includes classrooms and a student lounge with vending for the entire building. The second and third floors include classrooms, department offices and faculty lounges. All spaces are data and telephone wired; lounges and meeting rooms have cable input; classrooms contain the infrastructure for the university’s technology teaching package and the building also contains new mechanical and electrical systems.
The school contains multiple windows to allow natural light to permeate throughout the school and durable flooring and stain resistant paint. An innovative gut renovation was chosen over systematic rehabilitation and the limestone masonry was refurbished. The original-sized windows and roof match the original character of the building.
The new main entrance is equipped with an ADA-accessible ramp.
For zone compliance, the school contains concrete shear walls, steel X-bracing and a steel stud system and wire mesh for masonry walls.