The Spencer Elementary School site was composed of four unattached existing buildings. The two center buildings were removed, while the mid-century school building and a community-cherished 1940 WPA building were united by an addition containing classrooms, restrooms and support functions. The WPA building is now used for upper-grade classroom space. A lobby corridor COST PER SQ FT$115.00FEATURED IN2014 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation full height exterior glass across the front of the old building allows its historic character to be viewed from the street. Interior glass panels are structured to protect the existing sandstone.
A second addition extends to the street with a new distinctive entry lobby located between the new media center and the future gymnasium. The native rock on the WPA building and the brick on the mid-century building served as a basis for the color scheme. Bold entries tie each end of the campus together along with modern materials and coordinated masonry color to unify this facility into a 21st century school. This concept radically transforms into a unified facility that represents a positive image for this community.