Constructed in 1906 as a gymnasium building for physical education, the existing building facility went through various use changes leading up to the 1996 renovation project. The building previously had been a social hall in 1917; a two-story office facility, Martin Allen Hall, in 1960 and a computing center in 1985. Upon completion of a new computing center ASSOCIATED FIRMCF Abercrombie ArchitectsCAPACITY217COST PER SQ FT$64.56FEATURED IN1999 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation 1995, “Martin Allen Hall” was vacated and sat empty in disrepair, awaiting state funding. In 1996, the State of Kansas passed a bond measure, “Crumbling Classrooms,” to renovate and modernize aging campus buildings and classrooms throughout the Regents.
Completed in December 1998, this project serves as office and small instructional spaces for the Department of Psychology.
Renovation included complete replacement of mechanical, electrical, plumbing systems and vertical-transportation systems. The new building utilizes current technology in data and telecommunications.
The building is detailed with oak woodwork and casework. Oak and glass display cases are dispersed throughout the corridors. The design team worked closely with the user group to ensure positive experiences in all spaces of the building.
Photographer: ©Douglas Kahn