Graf & Lewent Architects assisted Vaughn College in the development of its Aviation Training Institute (ATI ) from the earliest stages. We assisted them in the evaluation of several potential buildings. Vaughn selected a 33,000-square-foot former coffee kettle factory in Astoria, Queens.
This is the first phase of the ATI fit out, involving the complete COST PER SQ FT$149.00FEATURED IN2014 Educational InteriorsINTERIOR CATEGORYVocational/Industrial arts of about 20,000 square feet. A high level of coordination with special equipment and pedagogical requirements was required to create a facility for teaching specialized skills in aviation mechanics.
The facility includes:
• Labs and classrooms where students are trained in specialties such as aircraft hydraulics, fuselage construction, and electrical systems.
• A lounge and casual workspace near the entrance.
• Faculty offices, located on the mezzanine.
The two-story, high-roof structure, ductwork and other building utilities were left exposed in many areas. The building infrastructure was upgraded to improve the learning environment and maximize energy efficiency, including:
• New HVAC and electrical systems.
• A new insulated roof and perimeter wall insulation.
• An insulated translucent wall panel system that replaced the failed industrial glazing.