The renovation of Linsly-Chittenden Hall, one of the major undergraduate teaching facilities on the Yale campus, included preserving its historic exterior and significant interior spaces, reorganizing its chaotic circulation system and rehabilitating its teaching spaces and offices. Originally constructed as two separate extensions to Yale’s Old Library (Chittenden in CAPACITY906COST PER SQ FT$259.00CITATIONRenovation/Modernization CitationFEATURED IN1999 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation and Linsly in 1907), Linsly-Chittenden was converted to classroom and academic use in the 1930s, and the building had not been renovated since. In addition to its seminar rooms, classrooms and lecture halls, the building contains administrative and faculty offices of the English Department.
Exterior work included restoring brownstone facades, replacing wood and leaded glass windows, reconfiguring the street entrance to make it accessible, and designing new roof dormers to enable offices to be installed in attic areas. On the interior, a new elevator and stairs were installed (both serving eight different levels), all mechanical, electrical and fire alarm systems were replaced and a new sprinkler system was added.
The 1930s oak paneling, trim and quarry-tile floors were restored and the finishes were extended into areas that were being modified to new uses.
Photographers: ©Steve Rosenthal and ©Warren Jagger Photography
"Historical preservation done the right way...outstanding!"—1999 jury