The project consists of renovations and restorations to existing spaces and an addition of 60,000 square feet. As a community landmark with historical significance, the restoration of the original high school, built in 1940, merits respect and sensitivity to its original character.
Transformation of the building for use as a CAPACITY800COST PER SQ FT$144.62FEATURED IN2012 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation school necessitated programming, planning and design focused on improved flexibility and accessibility, technological advances, energy efficiency, enhanced indoor air quality and acoustics, improved circulation and life-safety features and security.
The new main entrance/atrium serves as a "learning street-social artery" providing connectivity through the school. Renovation of existing public spaces provided the opportunity to enhance the technological infrastructure in conjunction with educational objectives, increase spatial efficiency, and upgrade materials and finishes.
The new courtyard creates optimal learning spaces that encourage collaboration and flexibility for multiple uses. Windows and clerestories provide an abundance of natural light.
Historical tax credits were obtained for qualifying portions of the project, which included preservation of the original building exterior, entrance lobby, a science lab and a general classroom.