Thomas Hall was built in 1911 as a residence hall and chapel for the Jesuit community. The proposed program was to transform the building into a new welcome/admissions center with associated offices.
In order to meet the new program needs, a discrete addition was constructed on the eastern side of the building. In an effort to COST PER SQ FT$250.00FEATURED IN2012 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation the original historic facade, the proposed design exposes a historic wall within an open multi-floor interior atrium. Above this atrium, clerestory windows enable natural light to filter through the interior of the building.
Through the restoration, the university sought to maintain most of the historical qualities of the building. New windows replaced the historic double-hung windows. The tall stained- and leaded-glass windows on the front and east sides of the chapel were restored; the ceiling height within the chapel was restored to its original grand two-story height; and an existing hand-painted ceiling within the chapel was uncovered and refurbished to its original state.
This project is on track for LEED gold certification.