Built in 1934 as the university laboratory school, the renovated building serves as the new home for Indiana State University’s College of Education.
Three primary goals were to create a building with spaces that reflect the college’s core purposes: teaching and learning; encourage "accidental interaction;" ASSOCIATED FIRMR.E. Dimond and Associates, Inc., EngineerCAPACITY550COST PER SQ FT$192.00FEATURED IN2011 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation respect its architectural roots.
The extremely tight site made a major addition to the building (to provide community space) impossible. Renovation of an exterior courtyard provided the opportunity to add major gathering space without an expanded footprint. The courtyard was transformed as an interior atrium—establishing it as the building’s "town square" within the existing masonry walls to maintain the feel of an exterior environment through daylighting, volume, masonry preservation and plant material.
Renovations transformed the old facility into a progressive, dynamic learning space. The building provides a sense of community: enhancing learning through accidental interaction, connecting generations of students and alumni, and supporting a broader connection to the community at-large.