Troy University, Janice Hawkins Park

Troy, Alabama

Troy University moved to its current location in the 1920s. The 1930 Olmsted Brothers master plan for the Troy State Teachers College campus identifies both McKinley Avenue and the president’s home. As the campus has grown to more than 10,000 students, the need for multiple north-south pedestrian routes across campus is ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONFEATURED IN2010 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYLandscape pressing.

The campus master plan will develop Janice Hawkins Park (JHP) as a buffer to the city of Troy. JHP is a series of ravines filled with large oaks, tulip poplars, pines, red maples and wetlands, which are a habitat for birds and home to other diverse wildlife.

Phase one construction established a well-lighted pedestrian route between the new 600- resident complex, and the campus’ academic core and dining hall. One measure of the park’s success is demonstrated by the students who have chosen it as the location to propose marriage.

Phase two construction activities included invasive species removal and stream restoration within the 20-acre park. An informal amphitheater is under design, continuing improvements to the park.