The new Margaret Murray Washington Hall is a 30,000-square-foot facility providing state-of-the-art accommodations for the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Management, as well as a gift shop, bookstore and additional dining services for the students of Tuskegee University.
The building was constructed in 1897. It was FEATURED IN2010 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYCampus Master Planning in 2009 because of structural concerns to make way for a newly constructed, more sustainable facility.
From very early in the design process, it was decided the building would be an example of green design for Tuskegee University, one that will set the standard for all future new construction and renovations for the university.
The new facility provides an attractive, comfortable and environmentally friendly building. The hall hopes to become the first building at Tuskegee University to become a LEED core and shell project. The project currently has identified enough credits to potentially earn 32 points and a silver certification rating.
•The building was stacked in an effort to maximize vegetated open space on the project site. The installation of efficient low-flow fixtures will reduce water consumption by 21.1 percent.
•Efficient HVAC systems and light fixtures contribute to a 47.5 percent savings over the ASHRAE 90.2 Energy Cost Budget.
•Environmentally preferable materials were used that contained recycled content and were locally extracted and manufactured. Certified wood was used throughout the facility.
•Effective and energy-efficient ventilation and use of finish materials were selected for their low- or no-VOC characteristics. They ensure the facility will foster an indoor environment promoting comfort for building occupants by providing more healthful indoor air quality.
•Brick used in the original building was salvaged and reused in the new building.