The southernmost horizontal wing of Allison Park Elementary School is original (1957), followed by the northernmost wing (1972) and the center section (1984), connected by a corridor.
The 2009 project includes two additions. One creates a secure entry lobby, space for relocated administrative offices, and a new classroom area to CAPACITY800COST PER SQ FT$93.25FEATURED IN2009 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation west. The lobby creates a defined entry point, and the relocated offices provide security and enhance administrative efficiencies. The six new classrooms and support areas improve the grade structure grouping within the building, and enable the district to expand its educational program.
The other addition provides a new kitchen south of the cafeteria, expanding both previously cramped and inefficient areas.
The alterations include a new roof over the 1984 section, replacement windows at the 1972 section, and spaces converted into classrooms and an academic multipurpose room. Physical access, and environmental and technology systems also are updated.
Site disturbance was minimal, and courtyard space was preserved. Construction was phased in without interfering with the school calendar. The project had a net change order credit to the district.