Lamberton Hall, designed by Frank Furness in 1906, served as the student dining hall until falling into disrepair in the 1950s. Over the next three decades, Lamberton deteriorated, severely limiting its functionality.
Seeing a “diamond in the rough,” student government took ownership of the building, envisioning a facility that would be used as a small performance CAPACITY200COST PER SQ FT$160.00FEATURED IN2008 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation and an intimate gathering space on campus. Lamberton Hall was to become the “students’” student center.
The architect, in collaboration with the university’s team of students, faculty and staff, designed the rehabilitation and renovation of about 21,000 square feet within Lamberton Hall and a 5,000-square-foot addition. Restoring much of the original design, the great room remained as a multipurpose space and entertainment venue accommodating 200 to 300 students with a mezzanine area for lounge games and small meeting rooms, as well as an all-night “greasy spoon.”
The addition, constructed of new glass and wood, serves as the entrance to Lamberton and houses the kitchen, servery, new stairs and elevator core.