Capturing legendary game-day spirit was critical as Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minn., planned its 3,000-seat stadium to replace the 1929 stadium. Now, spectators pass by commemorative recognition plaques en route to a central entrance plaza that overlooks the new field.
Location, orientation and timing of the new stadium were pivotal parts of CAPACITY3,000COST PER SQ FT$200.00FEATURED IN2008 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYSpecialized college’s campus master plan. The new stadium consolidates the college’s sports and recreation venues on the campus, and makes space available for a new academic campus mall at the old stadium location.
Realigned circulation strengthens campus connections and creates a dramatic bowl aesthetic with earth forms, architecture and landscaping. A tiered retaining-wall system provides lawn seating for game-day picnics and socializing.
A multi-story press box structure, home bleachers, visitors’ seating and Lund Arena frame the field. Sloped glass provides spectacular views, and operable windows provide natural ventilation. The President’s Suite is on the second level, and press box functions are on the third level.
Site design and architectural systems maximize the quality, function and image of the stadium within the college’s budget.