The Raymond B. Stewart Middle School campus was established in 1926 with an eight-classroom, two-story building. Since then, the campus has expanded to 21 buildings and 1,100 student stations. The architect was challenged to respectfully replace facilities that have been part of a community for many years, but were past their useful lives. The architect initially COST PER SQ FT$203.32FEATURED IN2008 Architectural Portfolio all facilities on campus and developed a master plan for upgrading the campus to current district standards for instruction, technology and security. The architect’s master site plan opened up the center of the campus around a courtyard with a linear arm extending out to the main classroom buildings. The administration, cafetorium, vocational, music and media center buildings were developed around the central courtyard.
The project was constructed in four phases over 30 months. The new building needed to be opened before demolition of the existing facility; therefore, phasing played an integral part of the site and building design. The replacement facility provides the citizens of Zephyrhills a neighborhood middle school in the heart of the city.