Situated in the West Hills area of the city, Henry Johnson Charter School is named for Albany’s hero of the first World War. The building was constructed in 1888 as Public School 3 for the city of Albany. It was converted into an office building in the 1970s.
In 2004, the architect began working with The Brighter Choice Foundation and the construction ASSOCIATED FIRMBBL Construction Services, LLCCAPACITY375COST PER SQ FT$165.00FEATURED IN2008 Architectural Portfolio to return the building to is former use. The exterior and interior masonry construction was well-preserved, and significant portions of the existing building were retained and reused. The interior received a complete renovation, and an addition was constructed to provide new classrooms, a gymnasium, media center and administrative space to house 375 elementary students in grades K to 4. The addition was designed to provide space for education, to appropriately respond to and respect the scale and materials of the older facade, and to meet the demands of the schedule and budget.
New mechanical and electrical systems were installed to provide energy-efficient operation and a sustainable future.