Murdock Hall is a four-story, 51,000-square-foot Italianate structure built in 1894 as the North Adams Normal School. The yellow brick and white marble building was the first structure on campus. It was constructed with masonry-bearing walls, wood flooring and steel beams. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The State Division of Capital Asset COST PER SQ FT$145.00FEATURED IN2007 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation selected the architect to produce a planning and restoration study. The extensive renovation accommodates a new program and provides new systems and ADA accessibility. The renovation restores the college’s landmark building to its original purpose, an academic building housing classrooms, while preserving its treasured historic elements. Through the use of modern interior design, the main common area has been transformed into the highly visible, grand space envisioned originally.
Areas for academic departments were created on three floors. Classrooms were remodeled with advanced presentation equipment and new furnishings. The building now also features seminar suites, computer labs, conferencing facilities, faculty offices and the grand common area for campus receptions.