As an international leader in the field, Syracuse University’s School of Information Studies recognized the need for a presence on campus that projects the school’s identity and goals through leadership in research, development and education. Hinds Hall, built in 1953, is a 60,000-square-foot building at the heart of the university.
This project commenced with an ASSOCIATED FIRMTowne Engineering; Klepper Hahn & Hyatt; Peterson EngineeringCOST PER SQ FT$108.00FEATURED IN2007 Architectural Portfolio and extensive interview process including the design team, the dean of the school, and several faculty members and students. The importance of interaction among faculty and students became clear through this process, and various collaborative and flexible program spaces—including “collaboratoriums,” experiential and case classrooms, and lounges for socialization and study—facilitate this interaction.
The renovated interior expresses the identity of the School of Information Studies through materials use, diverse gathering spaces and transparent rooms to promote shared knowledge. Sustainable materials and natural lighting contribute to the school’s aspirations of making a positive impact on individuals, organizations and society.