The L-shaped classroom wings of the existing building (1954, altered 1962 and 1989) were renovated, and a significant, F-shaped addition was designed, creating two courtyards. Rounded roof lines and curved canopies help unify the two areas of the building. The courtyards, exposed ceilings and truss systems, and combined use of glass, metal and clerestories, brighten the CAPACITY475COST PER SQ FT$133.25FEATURED IN2007 Architectural Portfolio space and create visual interest. The entryway is a focal point of the new facility and contains a large lobby with a skylight.
The scope of work in the existing building included finish upgrades inside and out, enlarged classrooms and new heating, air conditioning, plumbing and electrical systems. The addition includes 18 new classrooms, a centrally situated library, a science lab, two computer labs, resource areas and an expanded school office and sick bay. Other new spaces include a 250-seat gymnasium, kitchen, cafeteria and a large-group instruction area with a performance platform. The site was modified to improve traffic circulation and parking, and enhance stormwater management.