The Culinary Institute of America, founded in 1946, is the oldest culinary college in America. The school relocated in 1972 to its present site, a former Jesuit seminary built in 1901 on the Hudson River.
With the historic Hyde Park campus, growth posed challenges and opportunities for planning. The master plan emphasizes Roth Hall, the 100-year-old landmark, as the ASSOCIATED FIRMDerck & Edson Associates, LLPCOST PER SQ FT$120.42FEATURED IN2006 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation point of the campus. Roth Hall and its main entrance constitute both the symbolic and physical “front door” to the school. Previously, a bituminous paved circular driveway allowed automobiles and buses to drop visitors near the front door, causing considerable traffic congestion and blocking views toward Roth Hall and the Hudson River.
The design team created a classically landscaped plaza atop an underground parking garage that appropriately frames Roth Hall and restores its important visual connection with the Hudson River.
With the Anton Plaza Parking Terrace providing a distinctive pedestrian gathering space and an attractive vehicular parking solution, the school now has a “front door” worthy of its worldwide reputation.