This project converted a 1956 building into an early-childhood education center for pre-kindergarten through first-grade students. All of the building’s systems were renovated, and the school’s existing multipurpose room was absorbed as “found space” through its conversion to a library.
A new 17,500-square-foot masonry-bearing addition houses art and music rooms, a CAPACITY240COST PER SQ FT$122.47CITATIONRenovation/Modernization CitationFEATURED IN2003 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation multipurpose room, a recreation center, five new classrooms, satellite kitchen facilities and support areas. In the design phase, particular emphasis was placed upon a solution that matched the community’s architectural vernacular.
Extensive site reconstruction on this hilly, two-building campus included wetlands relocation, and provision of a new shared bus-loading and hard-play zone between the two schools, as well as improved accessibility and pedestrian routing. The site lighting includes several reproduction gaslight fixtures like those used throughout the town, which have become iconographic of Wellsboro.
Interior corridor walls feature caricatures of prominent local buildings. The library’s focal point is a whimsical, 1½-story “clock tower” depicting nursery rhyme themes on its four faces.