Creating a cohesive campus that combines the existing original structure with later additions and creates accessible new spaces was the result sought by the Frewsburg Central School District.
The project goals for these additions and renovations:
- Improve educational environments facility-wide to serve current and future programming needs.
- Improve energy ASSOCIATED FIRMBacik Karpinski Associates, M/E; Siracuse Engineers, StructuralCOST PER SQ FT$140.00FEATURED IN2002 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation by incorporating interior/exterior lighting upgrades, replacing existing windows with thermally broken aluminum and reflective glass, and installing an automated energy-management system.
- Encourage community use of the athletic, swimming and library spaces through creation of identifiable and accessible entrances.
- Improve handicapped accessibility throughout the entire building, including elevator upgrades, entrances and door hardware.
- Establish a media center that allows student and public access in an easy-to-monitor environment.
These objectives were met on time and under budget, allowing the district to create a Phase 2 follow-up project, including enhancements to the athletic fields, weightroom and main entrance canopy.