The Estill Building opened in 1928 as the original library building at what was then Sam Houston State Teacher’s College.
The university wanted to redevelop the Estill Building into a one-stop student-services center and a renewed focal point for students, staff and visitors.
The existing building had two hidden clerestories over the two wraparound stairs with a ASSOCIATED FIRMDabhi Engineering Associates, Inc.COST PER SQ FT$81.65FEATURED IN2002 Educational InteriorsINTERIOR CATEGORYInterior Renovation larger clerestory over the original library reception center. The designers opened these structures so that natural light could flow into the spaces below. Restrooms were stacked on top of each other , as were mechanical rooms. A fire-sprinkler system was installed, which allowed for the creation of a central atrium. The school’s logo of Sam Houston is inlaid into a new terrazzo floor in the atrium and open stairways. All new electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems were installed. The building is now fully ADA accessible from a central elevator tower.
The newly renovated building is home to the undergraduate admissions, student financial aid, campus visitor’s center and history departments.