Northrop Community Services Center

Rochester, Minnesota

The three-story school, constructed in 1915, has been used in recent years as the administrative offices for Rochester Schools community education programs. The building needed significant restoration.

The 1915 building and a 1935 complementary addition used brick with terra-cotta trim, including a terra-cotta sculptural plaque over the original entrance. However, ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONCOST PER SQ FT$102.00FEATURED IN2002 Educational Interiors2002 Architectural PortfolioINTERIOR CATEGORYInterior RenovationSUB CATEGORYSpecialized single-story addition built in 1963 did not fit well with the existing building and was demolished. A three-story addition was constructed in its place. A new main entrance was constructed. The original entrance with historical value remains on the opposite side of the building.

The building envelope received new exterior insulation, updated windows and doors, roofing and restoration of the exterior masonry. It was essential that the new construction fit well with the existing building. To accomplish this, window placement, brick detailing, stone trim, material selections and building massing were designed carefully. The interior detailing recalls some of the building’s original design elements such as the existing terrazzo floors, wrought-iron railings and woodwork.

The main administrative office is situated with clear visibility to the new entrance, and clear paths show the way to other parts of the building.