The Albany Law School celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2001. Housed in a 1929 granite structure with later additions, the law school is a pre-eminent part of the University Heights Association campus—an association of four area educational institutions.
The project consisted of the infill addition of a new lobby/reception area that enhances the connection between COST PER SQ FT$127.00CITATIONGold CitationFEATURED IN2002 Educational InteriorsINTERIOR CATEGORYCommon Areas 1929 classroom building and the 1965 law library. New primary entrances have been added for public and campus access, and a reception space accommodates law school functions.
The new addition is part of larger renovation project. The exteriors of the 1929 and 1965 stone structures were restored, and windows and doors were refurbished. The 1929 entry and staircase were restored to their original configuration, and new lighting was installed. Partitions were removed to permit natural light to the stairway, and provide additional space for individual and group study. The dean’s and associate dean’s suite, faculty offices and student-activity areas were renovated. The Robert V. Gianniny Rochester Moot Courtroom and Lecture Hall 200 were renovated, including installation of environmental and audiovisual controls.
“Nice and clean architecture that honored the existing building.” 2002 Jury