The existing campus of Randle Highlands Elementary School consisted of the original three-story 1911 building and a two-story 1969 addition. When the District of Columbia Public Schools decided to replace the school, the design team recommended that the original building be retained and the 1969 addition be demolished to facilitate expansion.
The replacement school CAPACITY620COST PER SQ FT$160.00FEATURED IN2001 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYWork in Progress accommodate 150 additional students, and provide educational facilities and programs not currently available.
The renovated 1911 building will accommodate administration, special classrooms and a media center. Connected to the original school building by a metal-and-glass bridge, the classroom building will have most of the teaching spaces, as well as the cafeteria. Opening in December 2002, the new campus also will have an activity building with a gymnasium, stage and meeting rooms available to the community. The “cluster” of buildings will create an open, landscaped plaza for centralized student activities and learning beyond the classroom. The front stairway of the 1911 building will remain the ceremonial main entrance to the campus.