The original Central High School, built in 1957, with additions in 1968 and 1992, was inadequate in terms of providing quality learning space to meet the needs of a dynamic and comprehensive high school curriculum. Several options were explored to meet the projected enrollment and provide space to reinforce the curriculum delivery system. Of major importance was CAPACITY2,000COST PER SQ FT$105.13FEATURED IN1998 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYWork in Progress of the new center and the development of a phasing plan to allow uninterrupted instruction to occur during construction. The selected option builds a new academic center to the east.
The design incorporates two new visible front doors at the north and south related to major vehicular approaches. Both entry points directly relate to the major circulating spine. The new linear spine—Central Avenue—provides a visual focus to the interior and functions as the social interaction space. This two-story spine links all major areas of the school into one easily supervised space.
The academic center includes three, two-story houses. These modular house groupings allow flexible arrangements and include general classroom space, science facilities, faculty planning, counselor offices, group instruction space and interactive technology labs.
The media center and tech resource area are located adjacent to Central Avenue. These spaces are a combination of new and remodeled areas to meet the specific program ingredients. Interactive instructional technology is seamless throughout the newly created school.