The campus consists of four buildings that are grouped around a central courtyard. It incorporates the modernization of the original 1921 building and the replacement of the buildings that were demolished.
These facilities provide more than 40 classrooms, library, cafeteria, vocational/technical spaces, music room and gymnasium. The challenge was to incorporate the CAPACITY2,500COST PER SQ FT$141.65CITATIONRenovation/Modernization CitationFEATURED IN2001 Architectural PortfolioSUB CATEGORYRenovation of the existing building into the new construction and to accentuate those characteristics that have historical significance. Terra cotta medallions commemorating the Olympics were removed from the original building prior to its demolition and were incorporated into the new gymnasium. The massing, fenestrations, materials, and use of arches in volumes of space in the original building all were used in the new construction to give the new building a flavor reminiscent of the old campus.
The courtyard functions as a connecting link among the buildings.
"A good blending of old and new."--2001 jury