The new Science Center maintains and extends the character of the original quad along a major artery that loops through the Moraga campus, home to St. Mary’s College since 1928.
J.C. Gatehouse Hall houses instructional and support spaces and faculty offices for the biology and chemistry departments, a neuroscience instructional laboratory and an NMR in CAPACITY670COST PER SQ FT$365.00FEATURED IN2001 Architectural Portfolio new, three-story building. The exterior design builds upon the college’s Spanish Colonial architectural tradition of red clay-tile roofs and decorative open eaves, whitewashed walls and deep-set windows. Ornamental doors and grilles blend in with existing campus buildings.
The interior design features a skylighted three-story atrium with a spiral staircase and stained concrete lobby floor. The new building consolidates the science program at St. Mary’s, providing a new identity and the ability for its users to collaborate in a modern teaching and research facility.