The McCall School occupies a prominent location in the historic center of Winchester. Constructed in 1930 as the town’s high school, the building was added to in the 1950s and contained many spaces unsuitable for a middle school program.
The architect designed a 25,000-square-foot, three-story addition with four classrooms and two science rooms on each CAPACITY800COST PER SQ FT$108.28FEATURED IN2001 Architectural Portfolio the lower two floors, and a library/media center on the top floor. Because of the building’s importance to the town, the exterior design of the addition had to reflect the neo-classical appearance of the original building.
Renovations to the existing building include reconfiguration of teaching spaces to accommodate middle school team clusters with science classrooms, and staff/team support areas. Technology labs were created in spaces once occupied by the now-obsolete high school locker rooms, and corridors and classrooms throughout the school received new finishes sympathetic with the building’s original character.
Because the McCall School is often used by the community after school hours, improvements include a new after-school youth center, renovation of the 800-seat community auditorium, upgrade of the gymnasium and accessibility improvements.